HomeBusinessCompaniesLIC accumulates over ₹700 crores since December 2022

LIC accumulates over ₹700 crores since December 2022

Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) has announced the sale of 2% of its equity stake in NMDC, a state-owned public sector unit, in a regulatory filing on Wednesday. The sale has resulted in LIC’s total shareholding in the company dropping to 11.69% as of March 14, from 13.69% earlier. The shares were sold at an average price of Rs 119.37 each, resulting in a sale of over 5.88 crore shares in the open market and fetching LIC of over Rs 700 crore.

LIC is India’s largest life insurer, with a dominant market share and a vast portfolio of investments. The company has been actively managing its investment portfolio, with a focus on diversification and optimization of returns. In recent years, LIC has been reducing its exposure to sectors such as financials and increasing its investments in infrastructure, consumer goods, and other promising sectors.

NMDC (National Mineral Development Corporation) is a major player in the exploration and production of iron ore, and LIC’s decision to sell its stake in the company has come as a surprise to many industry experts. However, the move is seen as part of LIC’s strategy to optimize its investment portfolio and reallocate resources to other promising sectors.

The sale of its stake in NMDC is seen as part of this strategy, with the insurer looking to reallocate resources to other promising sectors. The iron ore industry, which is the primary focus of NMDC, has been facing several challenges in recent years, including fluctuating demand and volatile prices. The sector is also facing increasing competition from other countries, making it less attractive for investors.

The sale of shares by LIC is expected to impact the stock market, as the company is one of the largest institutional investors in India. The move is also likely to impact the valuation of NMDC, with analysts predicting a drop in the company’s share prices following the announcement.

NMDC, on the other hand, has been making significant investments in new projects, exploring new avenues for growth, and diversifying its operations. The company is betting big on the renewable energy sector, with plans to set up solar power plants and explore opportunities in the electric vehicle space. The management is optimistic about the company’s prospects, despite the challenges facing the iron ore industry.

Despite the dip in its shareholding, LIC remains one of the largest investors in NMDC, and the company’s management has expressed confidence in its prospects. NMDC has been making significant investments in new projects and expanding its operations, and the management is optimistic about the company’s growth potential in the coming years.

Overall, the sale of LIC’s stake in NMDC is a prudent move, aimed at optimizing the insurer’s investment portfolio and reallocating resources to sectors with higher growth potential. While the move is expected to impact NMDC’s valuation in the short term, the company’s management remains optimistic about its long-term prospects and growth potential.

Priyanshi Mishra
Priyanshi Mishra
Priyanshi Mishra is a student of MA in Economics at the University of Lucknow. She has strong communication and content-writing skills.
- Advertisment -

Most Popular